Straight shooting sinks old rival

Bulleen Templestowe AFC – 12.4-76
Old Geelong – 9.17-71

After losing last week to one of the flag favorites and facing another in Old Geelong this week the talk around the division was that the Bullants ticker had stopped and their fate had been sealed for this season. However, a 7 goal best on ground performance from Kristian Cherbakof yesterday made sure that the heart was still beating to keep their slim chances of survival alive.

It was a slow start of the game for the Bullants against their old foes on Saturday trailing by a few goals halfway through the first quarter. There was a rally from the troops later in the term to kick the final 4 goals of the quarter to take a 2 goal lead into the first break.

The second term started as the first with Old Geelong having majority of the play and controlling the ball in their forward half. However they couldn’t capitalize on the scoreboard kicking 1.4 for the term to the Bullants 2.1 and ever so slightly extending the lead. Jack Cowell was superb in the quarter winning contests through the middle and getting down to Cherbakof in the forward line.

As flag favorites do, Old Geelong came out steaming in the third quarter kick the first two goals to get the game back within under a kick. To the Bullants credit, they braved the storm that Old Geelong threw at them matching punch for punch and holding on to a slim one goal lead heading into the final term.

With their season on the line, the Bullants quickly fired out of the blocks in the final term kicking the first three goals to extend the lead by 4 goals in breezy conditions at Ted Ajani. The Bullants held onto this lead up until the 20 minute mark of the quarter and looked to have this massive upset all wrapped up until Old Geelong rallied to fight back. In the final 10 minutes of the game Old Geelong were controlling on all parts of the ground and having numerous shots on goal pulling back the margin with every shot. Being two goals down with two minutes to go Old Geelong got that crucial goal to bring it back to a goal with ample time to draw or even win.

The last two minutes of the game were frantic with the Bullants trying to hold for dear life. The Oggers managed to get the ball into their forward line and have a shot at goal which sprayed right and brought the margin back to under a goal. Seconds later the siren went and the Bullants held on to a famous five point win over their old foes to keep their season alive.