Bullants by a point in opening round thriller!


The Bullants have opened their 2016 campaign in thrilling fashion coming back from 9 goals down in the third quarter to get over the line by a point against Old Eltham.

The Bullants started the first quarter on fire and full of energy dominating majority of the play through the back half and midfield. This turned into the first goal opportunity for the Bullants and they soon had the early lead on the board. Old Eltham which have been finals team over the past few years now finally got their game on and started to control the second half of the quarter. Eltham’s John Laver was everywhere and creating great goal opportunities for his club and they kicked the next three goals to take a 10 point lead into the first change.

Eltham started the second quarter where they left off and completely controlled most of the play with the Bullants looking sluggish around the stoppages and overall play. A six goal to two second quarter saw Old Eltham take a handy lead into the half time break by 33 points.

Again Old Eltham started the second half with more gusto then the boys in Blue and Gold and quickly went bang with a few goals in the opening 10 minutes and quickly turned their half time lead into what looked like a match leading 49 points halfway through the third term. Whatever clicked in the Bullants mind after that time seemed to work and dominated the next 15 minutes of play kicking 7 unanswered goals to bring the margin back to 13 points at three quarter time.

The fourth quarter was on for young and old. The Bullants kicked the first goal of the quarter which got the margin back to only a single kick bring the onlooking crowd to its feet. Old Eltham steady after that with their first goal of the term and got the margin back out to a two goal lead. With 5 minutes to play the Bullants were still down by 2 goals when they pegged one back to get the margin back to a kick. With a minute to play the Bullants had the ball through the middle and went deep into their forward line and managed to scramble a point to get the margin under a goal.

With Eltham have control of the ball with 30 seconds to play it looked like they would hold onto the game and claim the four points. And mistake from their backmen saw a turnover and kick into the Bullants forward like to a contested pack where Matt Stella was a awarded a free kick for over the shoulder directly in front of goal. The sleek and calm Stella slotted his fourth of the day and put the Bullants a point up with 4 seconds to play.

The ball was delivered to the center of the ground and soon after it was thrown in the air the siren sounded and capped of a memorable comeback/win for the Bulleen Templestowe Football Club.

New power forward Pasi Schwalger kicked three in his debut game for the Blue and Gold whilst ex Heidelberg player Ethan Mainieri also slotted three for his first game for the club.

The Reserves team also started the season off in style winning comfortably by 70 points in their encounter.